Thursday, May 3, 2007

Spring is here!


The rain has finally halted a bit here in Massachusetts and the land has been tilled. At the farm this week, I got my Sugar Snap Peas planted, and I am thrilled! Planting the peas is always one of my first spring tasks, and one of the first times of the season where i get my hands back in the dirt. With the loamy silt beneath my knees, I hand planted the entire pound of peas. The side of your straightly held hand makes a lovely furrow as you drag it down the field. After soaking the peas in a bucket of water for a few days prior to planting, I trickled them into the furrow. Next, the soil on either side of the furrow was huddled on top of the seeds, tucking them into bed for the spring.

Now all I do is wait. And wait. And I check them. Anything popped up yet? No, not yet. Maybe another day. I wait some more. Anyone reminded of first grade and your milk carton seed project? What is it about the seed popping up out of the ground? The first little cotyledons leaving the safety of the seed shell to bear its first leaves to the world? It doesn't matter how long you've gardened or farmed...this shit never gets old.

No comments: