Tuesday, December 11, 2007

If I Can't Be a Ballerina...


...at least I can wear their sweaters.

After a year or so, I have finally completed the ballet sweater! We weathered the storm of a moth invasion which destroyed a section of the sash, a failed search for a local "finisher" who didn't take six months to seam it, and a few (ok, many) glasses of wine as I converted the pattern from Speed Knitting: 24 Quick and Easy Projects.

I can knit and knit till I am blue in the face, but when it comes to seaming/sewing the different pieces together, I am nothing to write home about. It took the inspiration of a good friend all the way from Maui who flew up for our annual girl's weekend in Vermont, a boatload of patience and a toasty day in front of the fireplace to finally complete the seaming. Note to self: take a class on seaming/finishing. Or if anyone out there can point me to to a good website or book, it would be much appreciated. Hats of to Kate Starr for the expert finishing advice. One golden nugget of advice I took from her: you can hide a lot of mistakes in the armpits! Come to think of it, that may apply to life in general.

No comments: